We’ve all had that feeling. That feeling you get in the pit of your stomach, when you walk into your closet and realize you have nothing to wear. That immense sense of dread you get knowing that you’ll have to wear the same blue top you always wear, because it’s the only thing in your closet that you still think looks good. Up until recently, I would freak out about the lack of clothes in my wardrobe at least once a month(well to me it felt like once a month, but I’m sure my Boyfriend would beg to differ). Unfortunately, do to my lack of finances, I’ve had to become pretty creative when it comes to updating my wardrobe, and I’ve got to say, I’m really falling in love with my closet! Here are 5 Tips that I’ve found truly help update your wardrobe inexpensively:
1. Clean It Up- You need to clean out your closet. I’m not talking about making sure all your clothes are in there and not all over your room, I mean a good old deep closet cleaning! I cannot begin to tell you how many pieces of clothing I found when I did this! My favorite leather jacket that I thought I lost in the move from NYC? I found it tucked in a Forever 21 bag, IN A SUITCASE, in my closet. I cannot stress the importance of this!
2. Mix and Match- Put pieces together that you wouldn’t normally think to. For example, I have a pair of combat boots that I’m super in love with. Now that I’m back in Florida, I wear them all the time with shorts. It beats the old Target flip-flops any day. Don’t over think it, we’re not re-inventing the wheel here. lol. Just try pairing some of your favorites together and see what you come up with.
3. Don’t Underestimate the Power of Jewelry- I am completely obsessed with jewelry. When I was living in NYC I worked for a couture jewelry company called COOMI. It was there that my love of jewelry turned into a full blown passion! The great thing about jewelry is that you can get it relatively cheap and that it updates ANY outfit. I can’t live without costume jewelry! I search for great costume jewelry where ever I go. Some of my favorite pieces I’ve gotten from my grandmom’s jewelry box. Very few pieces are funkier than vintage. I also love to check thrift stores for costume jewelry. Just the other day I picked up these clip-on earrings for $3 at a local thrift shop.
4. Have a Clothing Swap with Your Lady Friends- I know for a fact almost all of my girlfriends hate more than half of the clothes they own. Why not host a Clothing Exchange party at your house? Have them bring all of the clothes they hate clean and folded, open up a couple of bottles of wine, and start swapping! Remember “One man’s trash is another man’s treasure”!
5. DIY- This tip is the hardest for me to follow, but I know it would make my life so much easier in the long run. Do. IT. Yourself. Summer’s coming and you need some shorts? Cut your old pair of jeans into a pair of shorts. I had a friend who would redye all of her black clothing whenever it would start to fade. Get creative. Nothing’s hotter than wearing something you yourself created.
Hopefully these tips will help you fall in love with your closet! Does anyone have any tips they’d like to add?